It was a stormy evening July 2, 1994 as USAir flight 1016 approached Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.

Wreckage of 1016

There were 57 people aboard the DC-9 as it began it's ILS approach to runway 18R. A windshear alert was issued as 1016 began it's descent down the glideslope. As the crew neared the airport, they encountered the windshear and decided to execute a missed approach. As they rotated the aircraft to go around, they turned slightly to the right. Passing the airport, the aircraft continued to descend. It struck trees and telephone poles before impacting the ground. 37 people were killed.
......It was clear that 1016 had encountered thunderstorm and microburst activity. Severe weather lay over the airport and along the approach path at the time of the accident.

The airport was scheduled to have terminal Doppler radar installed, but it was behind schedule and not functional the the time of the accident. Had it been, more pertinent information would have been available to the crew concerning the existing conditions.

Another indicator of the lack of significant weather information being disseminated to the crew was their decision to turn right during the execution of the missed approach. The airport's Doppler radar showed that the weather was actually worse on that side of the runway. Throughout the last moments of the flight, 1016 encountered a windshear of an incredible 61kts.

The aircraft's onboard software was not advanced enough to recognize windshear in a timely manner, preventing the crew from being able to make a more pertinent decision. The airport did have surveillance radar, but ATC procedures did not require the controllers to alert crews as to developing weather, including two other windshear alerts which had occurred prior to the accident. The crew's go-around procedure was begun correctly, the aircraft's nose rotated up, but the power was not advanced. That, together with the increasing tailwind, caused the aircraft to approach a stalled condition. The crew then lowered the nose to avoid the stall but their descent rate increased, causing them to impact the ground.

Investigators cited USAir's inconsistent training procedures regarding windshear penetration and missed approach procedures which were not resolved by the FAA.